As a Washington, D.C. area professional, interdisciplinary school that melds theory with practice, the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University prepares undergraduate and graduate students to be leaders and managers who solve problems and advance the public good in all sectors and levels of government – in the United States and throughout the world.
Learning from professors with real-world experience, you will gain the applicable skills and the practical knowledge to lead government agencies and nonprofit organizations, develop public policies and programs, create innovative consulting solutions, and provide expert policy analysis.
The Schar School is known worldwide for research that discovers new knowledge and develops practical solutions to challenges in public policy, government, and international affairs. Our faculty consists of scholars and experts who seek to push the frontiers of conventional wisdom, apply rigorous analysis to complex issues, and make a positive contribution to the world. Notable faculty members include:
– Retired General Michael V. Hayden, former director of the CIA and the NSA
– Robert Deitz, former general counsel at the NSA and senior counselor to the director of the CIA
– Gregory Koblentz, a member of the Scientist Working Group on Chemical and Biological Weapons at the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation in Washington, D.C.
– Ellen Laipson, former President and CEO of the Stimson Center
– Ambassador Richard Kauzlarich, who served as U.S. ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1997–1999 and to Azerbaijan in 1994–1997
Whether you aspire to lead a government or nonprofit organization, develop public policies and programs, create innovative consulting solutions, or provide expert analysis, you will graduate from the Schar School prepared to meet the challenges of a changing world.
Discover the Schar School of Policy and Government – one of the top-ranked policy schools in the United States – and earn a degree that will prepare you for a fulfilling and meaningful career.
Government & International Politics, BA
Public Administration, BS
MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAMS:
Biodefense, MS (*online format available)
International Commerce & Policy, MA
International Security, MA
Organization Development & Knowledge Management, MS
Political Science, MA
Public Administration, MPA
Public Policy, MPP
Political Science, PhD
Public Policy, PhD