American University’s School of International Service (SIS) is a top-10 school of international affairs located in Washington, D.C. Since our founding in 1957, we have answered President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s call to prepare students of international affairs to “wage peace.” We do so because we believe the world needs leaders ready to serve. Students who come to SIS know that service is not a moment; it’s a mindset.
Our world-renowned faculty—leading political scientists, economists, sociologists, anthropologists, demographers, geographers, historians, and experts in international development, global health, communications, energy, and the environment – produce transformational research and prepare more than 3,000 graduate and undergraduate students for global careers in government, nonprofits, and business.
Thoughtful and aspirational, with wide-ranging backgrounds and experience, our students take advantage of Washington’s wealth of resources and professional opportunities—and an active international network of more than 20,000 alumni. They graduate prepared to combine knowledge and practice and to serve the global community as emerging leaders, waging peace and building understanding in our world.
American University’s School of International Service features a comprehensive liberal arts program for undergraduates, professional education in international affairs for master’s students, and a multidisciplinary program for doctoral students. We offer a range of academic options to meet our students’ needs and interests: dual degrees, graduate certificates, online programs, executive degrees, a BA/MA, a three-year BA, practicum programs for career preparation, and extensive study-abroad opportunities.
We are housed in a 70,000 square-foot, LEED Gold-certified building, reflecting our commitment to advancing ecological stewardship, fostering transparency and human dignity, and working for social justice.
- Master of Science in Development Management
- Master of Arts in Ethics, Peace, and Global Affairs
- Master of Arts in Global Environmental Policy
- Master of Arts in International Affairs: Comparative and Regional Studies
- Master of Arts in International Affairs: Global Governance, Politics, and Security
- Master of Arts in International Affairs: International Economic Relations
- Master of Arts in International Affairs: Natural Resources and Sustainable Development
- Master of Arts in International Affairs: United States Foreign Policy and National Security
- Master of Arts in Intercultural and International Communication
- Master of Arts in International Development
- Master of Arts in International Economics
- Master of Arts in International Media
- Master of Arts in International Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Master of Arts in International Relations (online)
- Master of Arts in Social Enterprise
- Master of International Service
- Master of International Service (online)
- Master of Arts in International Affairs – Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in International Affairs – Juris Doctorate
- PhD in International Relations