Director of Admissions
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Global Enrollment and Recruitment, the Johns Hopkins SAIS Director of Admissions provides strategic leadership and effective management of the Office of Admissions and its full-time staff, as well as graduate student employees. The Director works with a high degree of autonomy, yet also collaborates closely with internal administrative and academic stakeholders, as well as numerous external constituents to support a comprehensive approach to enrollment management.
Leadership & Management
- Design and implement marketing and recruitment strategies for SAIS Pre-Career and Early Career programs
- Promote SAIS programs through formal and informal interactions while collaborating with peer admissions team members at the SAIS Europe campus (Bologna, Italy) and Hopkins-Nanjing Center (Nanjing, China)
- Oversee processing of all admissions applications (including on-line programs) and directly evaluate a significant portion of all admissions applications, as well as oversee all application decisions
- Oversee management of the SLATE admissions platform and SIS database
- Collaborate with the Office of Marketing and Communications on the design and production of marketing publications including general and degree specific brochures
- Oversee the design and implementation of on-campus and virtual information sessions and the annual Open House for admitted candidates
- Participate in Financial Aid Committee meetings to select scholarship recipients
- Recruit an increasingly diverse and talented student body demonstrating high ability
- Represent the admissions office within the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA) and Public Policy in International Affairs (PPIA) memberships
- Plan and travel for recruitment functions, including prospective student receptions, graduate recruitment fairs, and group travel with APSIA schools
- Develop strategies to engage prospects via social media, and provide online and offline content that will help generate applications and subsequently increase yield on admissions offers.
- Mentor and develop staff, advocating for needed resources that will enhance individual’s ability to contribute to their full potential
- Cultivate relationships with Johns Hopkins SAIS alumni and engage them in the ongoing work of the School through active participation in recruitment and yield activities;
- Provide the deans, other administrators, and faculty with detailed admissions data and reports
- Review and edit all content related to online applications and admissions web sites
- Counsel prospective and admitted students
- Organize Admission Committee meetings
- Manage the Admissions Office budget
Additional priorities include:
- Expand outreach to Historically Black Colleges, Hispanic American Colleges and Universities and other minority serving institutions
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population
- Participate in the ongoing institutional strategic planning process
- Actively solicit input from stakeholders, evaluate recommendations, implement changes as appropriate, and provide timely feedback on admissions policy, procedures, and/or practice
- Devise strategies for improving the balance between high demand academic programs (e.g., international policy programs) and those with current growth potential (e.g., regional programs).
- Improve admissions data collection, report generation, and data dissemination among institutional stakeholders
- Document process changes and maintain an updated operations manual
Networking & Travel
- Participate in the coordination of student recruitment activities and community outreach
- Represent SAIS to international, national, local audiences and speak on behalf of the Office of Admissions and Office of Financial Aid
- Create institutional buy-in while serving as an agent of change, demonstrating sensitivity to the wide range of experience and perspectives that both admissions staff and stakeholders bring to their respective roles
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external constituents
- Travel locally, nationally and internationally for networking and other SAIS related activities (i.e. admissions, seminars, meetings with alumni and companies/organizations etc.)
- Foster and support the ongoing development of staff by providing orientation, training, performance coaching, continuing education, and professional development opportunities
- Conduct independent research on matters related to Admissions and Recruitment
- Assist in counseling students as needed
- Perform other duties as required/assigned
- A minimum of ten years of relevant experience required, including five plus years of experience working in an academic enrollment management leadership role with responsibility for multiple programs.
- Eight or more years of experience in admissions, preferably in higher education
- Experience in an academic environment committed to the highest level of academic standards of integrity and quality preferred.
- Experience managing multiple direct reports and working within a matrixed organization required.
- Must consistently exercise sound judgment, demonstrate ethical conduct, and have the ability to work independently and in a team setting. Must have ability to work under pressure in a demanding academic environment. Ideal candidates will be flexible, creative, and energetic. Ability to establish effective working procedures and systems is essential.
- Experience in establishing successful partnerships with other campuses, academic units and other constituencies
- Intermediate to advanced skills with MicroSoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access; Preferred knowledge of SLATE and SIS.
Learn more and apply at https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Washington-Director-Admissions-DC-20036/648252900/.