Regional MEAL Officer, LAC
HIAS seeks a Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Officer to provide technical guidance and support to develop and improve systems to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness, strategic alignment, cost, and overall impact of HIAS’ refugee assistance programs in Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) Region. This region includes but is not limited to Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Mexico, Aruba, and Guyana.
The Regional MEAL Officer, LAC contributes to the development and implementation of organization-wide monitoring and evaluation policies, systems, and tools for evidence generation in the LAC region. S/he is responsible for data analysis and database development support in the LAC region, ensuring both data quality and general compliance and results reporting on programmatic performance progress against program goals and deliverables.
The Regional MEAL Officer, LAC supports HIAS’ central MEAL function through establishing a consistent MEAL practices across all LAC country offices and in strengthening the integration between country offices and HIAS HQ in order to maintain program quality and implement M&E and accountability standards. With support and direction from the Director, Results & Impact, the Regional MEAL Officer, LAC is responsible for building the capacity of country office staff and providing in-country and remote support. S/he works closely with the LAC country program teams, the LAC regional management team, and the LAC regional technical advisors to deliver on essential duties.
This position is based in the United States (Silver Spring) or within the region, with travel to the region as HIAS’ COVID-19 travel policy and global health guidelines permit.
MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY, & LEARNING
• Supports the continued improvement and institutionalization of key MEAL standards, processes, and systems/tools that support our organizational planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting requirements in the LAC region.
• Participates in program design, supports Programs teams to develop and refine objectives, support indicator selection and measurement, and creates/contributes to MEAL plans/framework.
• Liaises with program and M&E staff in the region to ensure robust data collection across country offices, standardizing collection methods, results, and analysis and aligning these to HIAS’ results reporting framework(s).
• Supports HIAS’ practice of accountability to affected populations and provides guidance to all locations in the region on operationalization of AAP principles.
• Provides remote and on-site training for relevant office staff (including Country Directors and key staff) on best practices in data collection, program management, and MEAL strategies.
• Travels to field offices across LAC region to monitor program implementation, provide operational assistance, and support compliance with program management standards.
• Supports evaluation activities in assisting with scope definition, contributing to evaluation management and implementation, and supporting follow-up for implementation of recommendations.
• Supports the implementation of organizational research and learning priorities in the LAC region.
• Implements best practices and policies for MEAL.
• Supports other M&E/MEAL functions, as delegated.
DATA MANAGEMENT & RESULTS REPORTING
• Tracks, analyzes, and regularly reports on program indicators, progress against targets, program successes, and lessons learned.
• Performs basic and intermediate statistical analysis from databases and through statistical programming, including developing baseline assessments and tracking data and progress against baselines.
• Develops and produces charts, graphs, infographics, and other visual representations of program activities and accomplishments; aggregates reporting at the country office and regional level; supports organizational-level reporting.
• At a regional level, provides technical assistance and quality assurance for donor reports and other external results reporting.
• Conducts data checks to ensure data quality related to analysis and research.
• Collaborates with IT and other relevant staff to contribute to the development of data management platforms, refine database parameters and to ensure platforms accurately measure program activity data.
• Participates in relevant working groups and or communities of practice that are essential to perform her/his duties; provides technical guidance and support to the regional MEAL Community of Practice.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Undergraduate degree in relevant field is required; graduate degree highly preferred.
• A minimum of three to five (3-5) years of work experience and experience in M&E/MEAL strongly preferred.
• English and Spanish fluency required (oral and written).
• Strong background in social justice, human rights, and/or refugee issues is preferred.
• Ability to manage, track, and report on program data; proficiency with Excel in tracking and analyzing data.
• Experience in use of data management systems and/or statistical software packages strongly preferred.
• Excellent writing and communication skills, including familiarity with writing funder reports, SOPs, and other program management documents.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines; ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
• Excellent critical thinking skills and a proactive, creative approach to problem-solving.
• Ability to travel to all countries in the LAC region, as needed.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
Please submit your resume and cover letter through our HIAS website: https://www.hias.org/who/career-and-internship-opportunities