Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24×7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
This is a two year limited term appointment reporting directly to the Director of Academic Data services with dotted line reporting relationship to the Academic Dean of the Fletcher School. The GIS Lecturer/GIS Specialist will be expected to teach three graduate courses per academic year: Introduction to GIS for International Applications (fall/spring) and Advanced Geospatial Modeling (spring). The position will also participate as a GIS Specialist team member within TTS Research Technology to provide support for GIS across the university. The responsibilities include working closely with a diverse client base comprised of faculty and students to help them utilize innovative geospatial technologies to achieve their academic and research goals. Key responsibilities of this position include providing GIS consulting services to faculty and students from a wide range of departments and academic disciplines, teaching workshops and in-class sessions, and developing complex GIS projects from initial concept to delivery.
- Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a Master’s Degree in GIS, geography, international affairs, environmental science, engineering or related discipline and 1+ years GIS teaching experience.
- Solid background and understanding of GIS and related concepts with strong knowledge and ability to use GIS software tools in a variety of research areas and applications.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Suite and common extensions.
- Strong commitment to teaching excellence and demonstrated experience designing, developing and delivering GIS education and training.
- Strong knowledge of data management, spatial processing, analysis, and implementation of end-user geospatial applications.
- Work well under pressure and under tight deadlines and produce quality deliverables to clients on time and in accordance with functional specifications.
- Must possess advanced analytical and innovative problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Strong presentation skills
- Ph.D. in GIS, geography, international affairs, environmental science, engineering or related discipline and 2-3 year GIS work experience delivering teaching in a higher education environment.
- Expertise in a sub-field connected broadly to the Fletcher School in international security, environmental policy, economic development, or humanitarian affairs.
- Knowledge of cartographic and data visualization techniques.
- Experience with other open source GIS software packages such as QGIS and GeoDa.
- Knowledge of industry-standard web mapping software platforms such as ArcGIS Online, Mapbox Studio, and Carto.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python.
- Knowledge and background in statistics and spatial statistics and relevant statistical software such as R, SPSS, Stata, etc.
- Familiarity with international spatial data sources.
- Experience with databases.
- Familiarity with GPS.
- Experience with remote sensing software such as ENVI or ERDAS IMAGINE.
- Knowledge of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) aka drones.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Learn more and apply at https://tufts.taleo.net/careersection/ext/jobdetail.ftl?job=21001269&lang=en