Deputy Director South Asia Program
Deadline to apply: December 3, 2021
Deputy Director South Asia Program
The Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan policy research center, seeks a dynamic individual to serve as the Deputy Director for its South Asia Program. The ideal candidate will have substantive expertise on regional security, including nuclear issues. We seek someone with outstanding analytical and writing abilities, strong communication and public affairs skills, a publication record of note, and experience managing programs, staff, and budgets. The individual must have visited the region frequently and have the ability to work well with key audiences in the United States, India and Pakistan.
The South Asia program produces policy analysis and academic research on strategic trends and geopolitical dynamics in Southern Asia order to inform policy debates and scholarly work. We believe this dispassionate, reasoned approach is vital to generating high-quality strategic thinking that will advance regional and global stability. The program also focuses its efforts on
partnering with the next generation of South Asian analysts and policymakers to build better tools for regional stewardship and enduring relationships for deliberative engagement. We seek to foster space for respectful dialogue and debate for all those who seek it, be they rising scholars, contemporary experts, or government officials from New Delhi, Islamabad, Washington DC, and Beijing.
The expected start date is January 4, 2022, and the selected candidate will be required to be based in the Washington, DC area. Salary is commensurate with experience and organization-wide compensation levels. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to complete one or more short research and/or writing assignments.
– Provide day-to-day oversight of major projects including South Asian Voices, the Visiting Fellowship, the Strategic Learning Initiative, and gaming and track II efforts;
– Carry out research and analysis on nuclear, strategic, and regional security issues;
– Supervise, mentor, and ensure professional development of program staff;
– Publish work and help with editing of Stimson Center publications;
– Engage in public speaking, media engagements, and other forms of outreach;
– Help plan, convene, and oversee in-person and virtual meetings and events;
– Engage in programming in Pakistan and India, and the rest of South Asia;
– Monitor project budgets and prepare funding reports;
– Identify and cultivate funding sources, and prepare funding proposals;
– Build relationships with influential individuals and institutions;
– Perform other tasks as needed.
– Master’s degree or higher in a related field;
– 7+ years relevant work experience;
– Substantive knowledge of South Asian security issues;
– Superior writing skills and analytical capabilities;
– Strong program and budget management experience;
– Ability to work independently and to collaborate with peers in a team environment;
– Diplomatic skills and cultural sensitivity; and
– Strong candidates will have some of the following:
– fundraising and program management experience;
– prior educational or professional experience in the region;
– language skills in Hindi, Urdu, Mandarin, or other regional languages;
– experience with data science methods and platforms, or with programming languages.
Please submit the following in a single PDF in the order listed below:
– Cover letter including salary expectations;
– Resume maximum two pages;
– Short writing sample op-ed style, maximum two pages; and
– Long writing sample paper-style, maximum 10 pages.
Applicants selected for interviews may be required to complete one or more short research, editing, and/or writing assignments.
Stimson is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.