Director, US Federal Government Affairs
The Director, Federal Government Affairs drives EMD Serono’s policy and political priorities in the federal government realm by:
• Building and leveraging relationships with Congress and other stakeholders influential in shaping the federal policy and political environment.
• Supporting EMD Serono leadership engagement with federal government officials and other relevant stakeholders.
• Monitoring and apprising the company of relevant external developments and trends in the federal political environment.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and execute a federal engagement plan to advance the company’s policy and political objectives.
• Serve as day-to-day liaison with federal government officials and political stakeholders.
• Serve as company representative for trade association workstreams relating to federal government affairs.
• Monitor and apprise internal teams of developments in the federal realm with potential impact for EMD Serono business.
• Maintain network of relationships in the federal healthcare political community.
• Cultivate and analyze intelligence relating to risks and opportunities in the external environment, and advise internal teams accordingly.
• Support EMS Serono senior leadership in trade association participation and other external engagements, including preparation of briefing documents.
• Assist in the management of the EMD Serono Political Action Committee, including budget development and execution, as well as initiatives to drive membership and increase awareness.
§ VP, Government & Public Affairs;
§ Commercial franchise teams (Oncology, Neurology, Fertility)
§ G&PA team members
§ Global Regulatory & Scientific Policy team members
§ Communications team members
§ Medical Affairs team members
§ Managed Markets team members
§ Regulatory Affairs team members
§ Congressional Members and Staff
§ Executive branch officials
§ Trade associations
§ Patient and physician stakeholder groups
§ Industry colleagues
§ PR agencies
§ Research firms
Who you are:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in health policy, government, law, or similar degree preferred.
• English mandatory, other languages an asset
• 10+ years in federal government affairs roles, healthcare experience preferred.
• Strong understanding of federal legislative process for healthcare policy and interplay with executive branch policymaking.
• Strong understanding of political context in which the pharmaceutical industry operates.
• Experience leading or working with industry partners, patient groups, and physician specialty societies to advance common goals in the federal realm.
• Strong understanding of federal policy areas impacting the pharmaceutical industry, including Medicare Parts B and D, the Affordable Care Act coverage expansion, 340B, Medicaid, the Prescription Drug User Fee Act and other FDA-related legislative initiatives.
• Strong network of relationships in Congress, the executive branch, key industry trade associations, competitors and other stakeholders that shape the federal political and policy environment.
• Strong interpersonal communications skills.
• Strategic thinking.
• Ability to develop and execute tactical plans to advance policy goals.
Please apply online through this link.