Title: Communications Manager Status: Exempt
Reports To: Executive Director Location: Washington, DC
Compensation: Salary in the range of $60,000 – $80,000; includes highly competitive benefits package. Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Description: Foreign Policy for America (FP4A) is a national organization working to strengthen support for principled American engagement in the world. Together with our members and partners, we promote sound policies, hold elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and help elect champions for our values. The Foreign Policy for America family of organizations includes FP Action Network, our federal political action committee, and Foreign Policy for America Foundation, our 501(c)(3) educational arm.
As we enter 2023, we’re seeking a talented and highly motivated leader to drive and oversee our communications efforts, including media engagement and press statements, social media and related strategies to build awareness of FP4A and hone our brand, and development of message guidance on our core issues. Competitive candidates will have recent communications experience on either a political campaign or Capitol Hill.
Responsibilities: The Communications Manager will be responsible for elevating FP4A’s profile, growing our traditional and social media footprint, and expanding our influence.
• Design and implement an earned media strategy that generates coverage to advance FP4A’s advocacy agenda, highlights the voices of FP4A leadership and other issue experts, and raises the profile of the organization.
• Lead rapid response efforts to major breaking news. Liaise with media and serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
• Respond to press inquiries; draft, edit, and disseminate written statements and responses; and facilitate expert briefings for media.
• Help design and lead implementation of a digital communications strategy and media relations and public affairs strategy that build the organization’s reach and influence and projects a strong brand identity.
• Oversee the production of FP4A’s weekly and daily newsletters and ensure quality control.
• Manage FP4A’s social media and website.
• Monitor public opinion polling and assist in the development of message guidance for candidates for federal office.
• Develop other written products to promote FP4A’s values.
• Reinforce the organization’s editorial voice across all products.
• Contribute to organization-wide planning and fundraising and assist with other projects as assigned.
Requirements: The ideal candidate will be a creative, mission-driven leader with recent communications experience in a congressional office and/or political campaign. The position will be in-person, based in Washington, D.C.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience; congressional and/or campaign experience is preferred but not required
• Previous experience working with media, particularly with an emphasis on direct outreach and relationship cultivation
• Digital and social media experience
• Strong track record of collaboration within fast moving team environments
• Interest in establishing a robust communications function; experience developing a communications strategy and engagement plan is preferred but not required
• Ability to build/maintain strong relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
• Demonstrated commitment to FP4A’s mission of strengthening support for principled American engagement in the world
• Familiarity and comfort level with foreign policy and politics
• Experience with WordPress and EveryAction is preferred but not required
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Communications Manager” in the subject line no later than December 2, 2022. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Foreign Policy for America is committed to inclusion and recognizes diversity as a strategic asset to our team and our community. As an equal opportunity employer, FP4A does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Visit our website at www.FP4America.org/Jobs.