Research Assistant/Research Associate (38 North)
Deadline to Apply: January 30, 2023
The Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan policy research center, seeks a highly motivated individual to join the team as a full-time Research Assistant or Research Associate for the 38 North Program. The successful candidate will have at least a BA in GIS or data/computer sciences; additional interest or training in international security, international relations, or other relevant majors is recommended. They will also have experience working with ESRI platform and products, ArcGIS, web content management, and photo editing.
Stimson’s 38 North Program is an authoritative source of information and analysis about the DPRK’s internal and external affairs. Given the inherent dangers of conflict on the Korean Peninsula, an informed public debate on issues related to North Korea can reduce the risks of misperception and miscalculation. 38 North’s focused efforts help ensure that high-quality research, analysis, and data resources are available to policymakers and practitioners working to solve one of the most complex security dilemmas facing the world today.
The Research Assistant/Research Associate position will be deeply involved in helping manage and further develop 38 North’s data and technology resources while also assisting with website content management and satellite imagery processing and production. Additional duties include research and administrative assistance on program initiatives examining various aspects of North Korea’s internal and external affairs.
– Perform GIS data research, collection, quality control, and analysis. Create data visualizations, statistical /geospatial analysis, and maintain geodatabase for internal exploitation and external client deliverables;
– Assist with multi-spectral analysis on a variety of satellite imagery and remote sensing data, including scoping, imagery acquisition and processing, markup and publishing;
– Develop new data and imagery driven research projects to expand knowledge of critical North Korea and/or Korean Peninsula issues;
– Assist with content management and resource development for 38North.org;
– Network with relevant individuals and institutions;
– Write occasional articles and issue briefs;
– Support the identification, development and cultivation of potential funding sources and prepare substantive content for funding proposals; and
– Assist with administrative functions such as invoicing and contracting, budget monitoring and reporting, and grant reporting.
– The above specified tasks may not be the only duties assigned. Employees will be required to carry out any other job-related instructions requested by their supervisor.
– Bachelor’s Degree (for Research Assistant) or Master’s Degree (for Research Associate) in GIS, Geography, Data/Computer Science;
– Professional level experience with ESRI platform & products, including:
– ArcGIS Pro/Online/Enterprise
– Related toolsets/licenses such as Image, Spatial, Network, and Geostatistical Analyst;
– At least 1-2 years’ experience working with ESRI platform and products, ArcGIS, web content management;
– An understanding of various geospatial software & services such as QGIS, Erdas Imagine, and Google Earth Engine;
– An understanding of geospatial data structures, cloud services, and satellite imagery providers;
– Proficiency and experience in photo editing and web content management;
– Superior research and writing skills and ability to articulate ideas in a clear and concise manner;
-Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and experience;
– Ability to work independently as well as part of a small but growing team;
– Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize accordingly, and work under shifting deadlines; and
– Personal commitment to, knowledge of, and/or interest in the substantive work of the program.
– Korean language skills (reading and writing especially);
– Some background in Korea Studies, International Affairs, or related field; and
– Knowledge of Python, ArcGIS Model Builder, or ArcPy and background in Korean Peninsula issues, Northeast Asia security, or nuclear nonproliferation are a plus.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and short (1-3 pages) writing sample in a single PDF document online. Make sure to highlight your technical and language skills in the application.
Stimson is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.