Director of Media Monitoring, Health Misinformation and Disinformation
THIS IS A REMOTE POSITION (MUST LIVE IN AND BE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE USA OR CANADA)
PGP (The Public Good Projects) is seeking a full-time Director of Media Monitoring to head our Monitoring Lab and lead our media monitoring efforts across an array of public health and health care-related topics.
PGP is the global leader in media monitoring for public health. PGP’s Monitoring Lab is the home of its media monitoring systems and programs, consisting of a cross-disciplinary team of journalists, health communications experts, and researchers working together.
The Director of Media Monitoring will be responsible for our organization’s efforts in monitoring, analyzing, and combating the spread of health misinformation and disinformation, as well as leveraging media monitoring insights to inform the design of health communications programs and messaging. This position will lead a team of professionals developing and implementing strategies to respond to infodemics and crises, and support programs on highly nuanced topics such as substance use, mental health, abortion, vaccines, and more.
The Director of Media Monitoring will serve as an internal and external media monitoring expert, working across departments and regularly interfacing with external partners and stakeholders. As the leader of PGP’s Monitoring Lab, the Director of Media Monitoring will have substantial autonomy, but will operate with the support of PGP’s nonprofit newsroom, PGN, as well as PGP’s research department. With regard to systems, PGP provides access to several top-shelf media monitoring tools and works in close collaboration with social media company representatives. This role will have significant say in future technology stacks and team development. The Director of Media Monitoring reports to the Chief Programs Officer.
Technical know-how and practical experience with advanced media monitoring methods are imperative for this role, rather than theoretical applications of media data. The ideal candidate will not only understand the backend systems and queries of media monitoring and/or social listening, but also be able to lead projects that help establish standards and norms in the new field of Infodemiology. The ability to work independently, while also managing staff in a fast-paced environment, is essential, as is comfortability giving external-facing presentations. Experience in journalism, public relations, or public health would be a plus.
PGP is a highly collaborative environment where intellect, curiosity, ambition, kindness, and decency are prioritized. If you are a highly motivated media monitoring professional with a passion for public health and a desire to make a positive impact in the world, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Further develop and implement PGP’s media monitoring strategies for tracking media related to public health and other sensitive topics.
- Further develop PGP’s strategies to identify the spread of false or misleading information.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of effective communication and response plans.
- Provide training and education to staff and the public on the work of the Monitoring Lab.
- Represent PGP externally at stakeholder meetings, conferences, events, etc.
- Stay up-to-date on trends and emerging issues related to media and technologies, social listening, infodemiology and public health, and misinformation.
- Supervise a team of media monitoring analysts, helping them achieve both departmental and individual goals.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- 5+ years of experience in media monitoring, social listening, market research, data analytics, or related field.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with the ability to interpret complex data and communicate it effectively to others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior partner and/or client relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to empathetically manage teams, lead projects, and function as a company role model.
- Strong knowledge of media data and emerging trends in media.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities at once.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English) but not required.
As a workplace, we pride ourselves on our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender non-conforming to apply. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applicants must be eligible to work in either the United States or Canada.
We are a fully remote organization with employees spanning the country, so we come together, collaborate, and communicate through technology: Slack, Google Business, and Monday.com, amongst other platforms. This is a full-time, fully-remote position therefore candidates must have the ability to work from their own home office.
Our full-time benefits include health insurance, 12 holidays, unlimited paid time off, two percent retirement match, maternity/paternity leave, and more.
PGP (The Public Good Projects) is a public health nonprofit specialized in large-scale media monitoring programs, social and behavior change interventions, & cross-sector initiatives. PGP’s mission is to revolutionize public health communication, so that business and public sector programs have greater impact and communities are healthier. PGP’s programs and initiatives are evidence-based, tailored for particular populations, employ a collective impact model, and are scientifically evaluated.
PGP values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history.
To learn more, visit: https://publicgoodprojects.org/